Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Day Out With My Students

Some of the ladies from my religion class wanted to take me out to see some of the interesting sights. They knew that I like the history, so they took me to this traditional village. It was moved up on this hillside when the Daejeon dam was built. It had been in the bottom of the valley next to the river which is now underwater. It was really interesting! This house is the house that the women lived in. In the traditional homes of the upper class, there were two main houses. One for the men and one for the women. This included the grandmother and grandfather and so on. After seeing the set up, I thought it was kind of a cool idea :)


This was fed by a natural spring. The Koreans just go up and drink out of the community cups. I don't think that is something I will be doing, but each to his own...


Here I am in front of the gate into the courtyard of the traditional home. Each family's area is enclosed and has sheds and alot of space for all kinds of stuff. The homes were heated from underneath they built fires and the heat would travel in tunnels under the floors. Pretty cool!


This little stove was in the blacksmith's shop. He still built traditional tools and made many different things in his little space there. I thought this stove was really cool.



Here we are!














No comments: