Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Tree

This is our little tree. There is a story behind this tree...We have been trying to find something for our little place to make it seem Christmas'y' for the kids. We have looked around, and there are little trees like this at some of the big stores already decorated and they cost over $30! There is no way I was going to spend that kind of money-especially when they are decorated already with decorations that I wouldn't necesarily choose. I've colored pictures of Nativity scenes and hung them and put some lights up, but I wanted something more. So, yesterday, I was going to buy some wrapping paper and make a tree to hang on the wall and decorate it. But I couldn't even find any paper that was good for it! So I went to this little 'dollar' store down the street and couldn't believe it when I found the same tree as in the big store, but it was one thousand Won, or in our thinking, $1!!! Then, they had little tiny strings of lights and decorations. I don't like just any decorations, I like things really pretty simple and kind of "country" style. But there has been nothing like that here in Korea. All the decorations have been really colorful and shiny. In this little store, there was a set of little pinecone ornaments...PERFECT!!!!! So, we decorated with one little tiny string of lights, pinecone ornaments and silver bows. I think it turned out pretty cute. The kids were so excited. And the whole thing cost me 5,000 Won, or less than $5!!! God is good! For the joy it brought our children to decorate it and have it up, I think was put in that little store just for me to find! The photo above is with the flash. The photo below is just the Christmas lights.
Here is the big picture. You can see how tiny it is on the television. Maybe I'll put a really big tree skirt around it to cover the TV since we never use it anyway :)



Here are the kids decorating it. They did a good job. I went back later and rearranged a little, but they didn't know.





2 comments:

Matthew and Beth-Anne said...

Oh that's wonderful!! Isn't God good to give us simple pleasures like that? I'm so happy that you got a tree and with decorations you liked =) We decorated one of our plants with lights...hehe.
~Beth-Anne

angela said...

Hey there!

We are home... We had the joy of walking into our house from the long trip home and finding a very fresh Christmas tree standing in the livingroom waiting to be decorated by the kids. Thinking of you over there in Korea... Christmas away from is kind of strange, isn't it? I just couldnt get into the spirit... but then it was summer in Tanzania. So good to be home but jet lag is not so fun.
angela